Sunday, July 15, 2012

In Bed or in Jail



After a perfectly clean 3 year record of never getting sick (yes… never), I had the unfortunate fate of being attacked by an army of amoebas last Monday after a visit to McDonalds in the capital. Funny how McDonalds would do that.  So what happens when one gets a visit from amoebas (and their eggs)?  Well, I’ll spare you with the details, but it involves trips to the bathroom every 10 minutes, thus dehydration because you can’t keep up with that and then a fever.  After day one of this, my body could not keep up and I had to be taken into the hospital.  I went kicking and screaming because I was not looking forward to staying in the hospitals here.  However, God used my dreaded visit to the hospital to teach me how loyal friends can be and how Dominicans really do care for their sick. 

Within 30 minutes of being taken to the hospital, 8 of my friends were at the hospital to check and see how I was doing.  My 3 roommates argued over who got to sleep with me.  Then the next day is when more of the fun began.  Starting at 7:30am, I was bombarded (or should I say blessed) by visitors.  During the entire day, I maybe had one hour that I was able to take a nap. One highlight of the day? The entire freshman team came screaming into my room after they won their game.  I was thankful too because the cook kept getting mad at me for not eating my cheesy potatoes and the girls helped me out.  At 9:30pm, my amazing intern Courtney and I settled down to watch some Castle thinking, SURELY no one would still come and visit.  False.  I still had 4 more visitors from my panas Moreno and Melvin as well as another one of my freshman girls and her dad at 10:30!

“En la cama o en la carcel se conoce a los amigos.” (In bed or in jail is when one gets to know his friends). One of my friends taught me this phrase after I had expressed how impacted I was by all this visit.  I think this is true about our lives.  When we are “sick” and weak, we can see what friends take the time to pursue us and help us get strong again.  Thanks amoebas for helping learn that lesson. I owe ya.  

Important Visa News:  Tomorrow at 4am, our team departs for the capital to apply for our visas.  Please PRAY that the team will be granted the visas so we can head to the states July 25!!!
We are all geared up for our trip! Thank you so much Jenn Oltoff and all others who help donate so the girls could have new bags, waterbottles, shorts, socks and t-shirts! 


Enjoy some pics of the past couple weeks. 
Courtney working with the hitters 

So, Funny Story: Bethel's basketball team came to the DR to do basketball clinics for the kids.  One stop of their trip was to come to Jarabacoa.  My job was to try to find a game for them.  After calling (and confirming multiple times) with a team from La Vega, I had high hopes that the game would be a success.  As I pulled up to the court to make sure everything was going as planned, my stomach dropped to see 10... women.  Somehow lost is translation, a womens basketball team came instead of a mens team.  However, since living in the DR makes one an expert at plan B... we quick called up our varsity team and we played a volleyball game against the guys!  So fun!
 pre-game chant
Great times. 

            

No comments:

Post a Comment